
More than 1,800 people have signed a petition backing Roy 'Chubby' Brown after Lancaster City Council cancelled the controversial comic's gig in Morecambe.
The online petition was set up after the council called off the stand-up comedian's scheduled show at their venue The Platform on August 19.
There has been an online backlash against the decision to cancel the 77-year-old comic's appearance in Morecambe.
Daniel Armitage set up the petition at Change.org, saying: "I'm getting sick and tired of people who dislike Roy Chubby Brown".
"He does a lot for charity, if people don't like him then move on don't ruin it for other people. Roy is a caring person.
"I have emailed the council. Let's fight this."
A total of 1810 people had signed the petition as we went to press.
Meanwhile Mr Brown's tour manager, Ritchie Hoyle, released a statement saying he was "bemused, astonished and bewildered" at "yet another council's decision" to cancel a Chubby Brown show.
"I can only repeat what I’m really getting tired of quoting in the past, Roy Chubby Brown is a character created by Royston Vasey, a comedian with no hidden issues re anything else but giving his audience a great night out and putting a smile on people's faces," said Mr Hoyle.
"It’s plain and simple, it’s comedy!!!
"Anti-Royston Vasey/Chubby protesters label him as sexist, homophobic, racist, a misogynist, again I find this offensive and totally insulting to Roy personally, these accusations couldn’t be further from the truth.
"Chubby Brown is a fictional character, an act for God's sake.
"Everyone knows the content of Chubby’s show, it’s again quite simple, if you can’t see it for what it is, comedy, then don’t buy a ticket, but don’t try to spoil it for the thousands of fans who love Chubby and just want a laugh and a good night out.
"To me this is now the snowflake, woke cancellation culture minority trying to dictate to the people what they can and can’t do/watch, take away freedom of choice/speech."
There was also a huge response to the council's decision on the Beyond Radio Facebook page.
At time of writing, there had been 347 comments on our post about the cancellation of the show, with the vast majority of people who commented, slamming the decision.
Yesterday (Tuesday), Lancaster City Council issued a statement about the cancellation of the event.
Mark Davies, chief executive of Lancaster City Council, said: “Following concerns raised by our community, Lancaster City Council has taken the decision to cancel the appearance of Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown at the Platform in Morecambe this August.
“We understand that this decision will disappoint some people, but we are proud to be a fair, diverse and inclusive organisation and do not believe that Mr Brown’s shows are compatible with these values.
“All ticket holders will be contacted and offered a full refund.”
A petition calling for a ban on Roy 'Chubby' Brown performing in Morecambe, set up prior to the cancellation, has had 64 signatures at time of writing.
The petition, set up by RCB Out, described Mr Brown's humour as "wholly unacceptable".
This is not the first time that a council has cancelled a Chubby Brown gig in the UK.
Earlier this year, Pendle Council cancelled a show due to take place at The Muni Theatre in Colne, saying it was in the “best interest of the community”.
Related Story: Council cancels Roy 'Chubby' Brown Morecambe gig after complaints - Beyond Radio