On Air Now

Saturday Sport

9:00am - 10:00am

Now Playing

Blossoms

Charlemagne

Calls to keep 'at risk' Baylight festival sparkling in Morecambe

This giant whale was the centrepiece of the Baylight '25 parade. Photo: Robin Zahler

A fundraising drive is under way to keep the lights on at a popular annual festival on Morecambe Promenade.

Organisers of Baylight are looking to raise money to ensure the popular illuminations festival goes ahead next year.

The event - which pulled large crowds to Morecambe over two days last month - is at risk unless enough money can be found.

The 2025 festival faced the axe, but was saved due to last-ditch funding.

Now organisers are asking to help to bring Baylight back in 2026.

"We’re in a bit of a pickle, and we need your cape to save the day!" said a statement on the Baylight website.

"Baylight, our yearly extravaganza of joy, is at risk, and we’re rallying all the heroes to keep the good times rolling.

"Baylight is like the heartbeat of our community, and it’s in danger of missing a beat. We believe in the power of joy, connection, and a little bit of sparkle – and with your help, we can make sure the show goes on!"

The Baylight team are asking for people to help by 'becoming a Festival Fairy' by donating, spreading the word among friends, family and other festival-lovers, or by 'sending virtual hugs'.

All donations will be collected by organisers Morecambe Sparkle CIC to support a future Baylight Festival or similar activities, says the website.

"Baylight brings sparkle to Morecambe, lighting up the town and bringing people together," said a spokesperson for Morecambe Business Improvement District (BID), one of the festival sponsors, on Friday.

"Without support, they might have to hit pause – and we can’t let that happen!"

Below, one of the illuminated attractions in the Baylight '25 light art festival

You can donate HERE.

Baylight '25 was held on February 21 and 22, and was the third year of the festival which reinvents Morecambe Illuminations for the 21st century.

Although this year's event was scaled down from 2024 due to funding issues, it still pulled thousands to the town - especially for a parade along the Prom on the Saturday evening.

A 1.5km light art trail was also open for the public to see.

"We'd also like to thank all of you who came along to support the event, everyone who got involved by joining in the lantern workshops, or downloading the DIY Mini Boat and Lantern PDFs and joining the parade, all of the amazing artists and technical staff, the various support teams, our local media for getting behind us and supporting Baylight, all of the fantastic parade participants, the schoolchildren who took part in our Design a GOBO competition, the venues and staff who hosted the making workshops, our VIP speakers and attendees, our awesome team of volunteers, our food and beverage area suppliers and all of the local businesses who extended their opening times and came up with some great offers and of course... our mums!" said the Baylight team.

The 2025 festival went ahead after Lancaster City Council agreed to provide £15,000 in direct funding as well as ‘in-kind’ support equal to £15,000 to cover costs associated with public safety such as road closure and barriers, while Lancashire County Council agreed to provide £30,000 in direct funding.

This was on top of £25,000 per year for three years already agreed by Morecambe Town Council, to act as headline sponsors.

Read more: VIDEO and PHOTOS: Thousands line Morecambe Promenade to enjoy stunning Baylight festival parade - Beyond Radio

More from Local News

Recently Played Songs