
The government is now accepting bids for round 2 of its Levelling Up fund after a delay - which is good news for the planned Eden Project North in Morecambe.
The online portal allowing UK communities to bid for funding opened on July 15 and will close on August 2, says the government's website.
A crucial £50m bid for cash to make the Eden Project North happen in Morecambe was due to go in to the Department for Levelling Up on July 6.
But applications were not being taken at the time.
Now the Morecambe bid can go in, and if it is successful, work could start on the proposed new eco-attraction on the Promenade either later this year or early 2023.
A spokesperson for the Eden Project said at the time: "As previously announced, Lancaster City Council will be submitting a bid for £50m of public investment in Eden Project North to the Government’s Levelling Up Fund.
"This bid will be submitted once the online portal opens."
WHAT IS THE EDEN PROJECT NORTH?
The planned Eden Project North could pull £1m visitors annually to Morecambe, according to estimates.
The eco-attraction on Morecambe Promenade will combine indoor and outdoor attractions, themed around Morecambe Bay, and will include plants, art and interactive exhibits, a concert area for live music events, three cafe/restaurants and a visitor centre.
The scheme was given planning permission in January.
Private and philanthropic funding is in place for the project, which Eden is planning in partnership with Lancaster City Council, Lancashire County Council, Lancaster University and Lancashire Enterprise Partnership.
The Eden Project eco-visitor attraction in Cornwall has transformed the region's economy since opening in 2000.
WHAT IS LEVELLING UP?
The government said its £4.8bn Levelling Up strategy aims to "ensure all parts of the country share equally in the nation’s success".
It will pay for "investing in infrastructure that improves everyday life across the UK, including regenerating town centre and high streets, upgrading local transport, and investing in cultural and heritage assets".
The first round of Levelling Up bids took place last year. The Eden Project application will go in as part of the second round of bids, with other submissions from around the UK.
Related Story: Waiting game for £50m Eden Project North bid amid government website delay - Beyond Radio