On Air Now

Guess the local year

Noon - 3:00pm

Now Playing

Rachel Stevens

More More More

Lancaster high school closed for second day after receiving "further malicious threats"

Police vehicles at Central Lancaster High on Tuesday

A Lancaster high school is closed for a second day and police have been informed after it received "further serious threats".

Central Lancaster High announced that it will be shut on Wednesday January 29 following yesterday's hoax bomb threat.

A message sent to parents and carers of pupils said that "further serious threats" had been received this morning and the police had been informed.

John Cowper of The Bay Learning Trust which runs Central Lancaster High School, said: “The school has received further malicious threats this morning and the school remains closed.

“We are working with the police and all parents will be updated today. We would like to praise all of our pupils and staff for their understanding and response.”

We have contacted Lancashire Police for comment.

Police were called to the school on Tuesday after a 'malicious communication' was received.

After a thorough search, the school was declared safe, police deemed the bomb threat to be a hoax, and the school said it would open again on Wednesday.

But a statement from the school on Wednesday morning said: "School is closed today - Wednesday 29 January.

"Online learning has been set for all pupils.

"Texts and emails sent to all families.

"We will update all in due course."

"Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Staff and pupils had begun to arrive on Tuesday when the school was evacuated and everyone sent home.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said yesterday: "At 8:17am today (Tuesday 28th January) we received reports of a reported bomb threat at Central Lancaster High School, Crag Road, Lancaster.

"The school evacuated the premises as a precaution in line with their procedures, with support from our officers.

"A safety cordon was also put in place.

"Following a thorough search of the school, it has been deemed a hoax.

"We take these matters extremely seriously and anybody discovered to be responsible for the hoax will be dealt with robustly."

Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting log 231 of 28th January 2025.

Mr Cowper said on Tuesday: "Following malicious communication received this morning the school site has been declared safe by police who have conducted extensive operations.

"School will re-open as normal for all pupils tomorrow, Wednesday 29 January, and we look forward to welcoming their return."

Earlier, Mr Cowper said: “We can confirm the school site was shut down at approximately 8.30am and remains closed until further notice following an email threat.

“The site was quickly evacuated including all staff and pupils and we have advised all parents of the situation and sent the pupils home. Police were quickly on the scene to make safety checks and we are working with them through this process.

“We would like to praise all of our pupils and staff for responding so swiftly and calmly and we will be communicating with parents as we receive further updates.”

Read more: Bomb threat which closed Lancaster school was hoax, say police - Beyond Radio

More from Local News

Recently Played Songs