
We have the latest updates on the major roadworks which have brought Lancaster city centre to a standstill over the past few weeks.
Engineers from Electricity North West have been laying ducts this month for approximately 450m of new underground electricity cables in the city centre.
The work, part of a wider project which has already seen 2km of new cables installed, will see the power network operator invest close to £750,000.
Once complete, the upgraded cables will benefit thousands of customers in the city centre and surrounding areas, said Electricity North West.
Work has been taking place on Nelson Street, Brock Street, Spring Garden Street and King Street in the city centre.
The George Street/Common Garden Street bus stops have been closed during the work, and Marketgate car park was temporarily shut.
On Thursday, an Electricity North West spokesperson said: "Marketgate car park has now re-opened, this happened yesterday (August 21).
"We’re now working on Spring Garden Street, slightly ahead of schedule.
"Brock Street has also reopened and work is progressing well, despite some difficult conditions.
"We expect to be cleared off site by August 27.
"We have work ongoing on King Street as well, there is a lane closure so teams can work safely in the road."
Below, the lane closure on King Street, pictured on Tuesday August 20.
Meanwhile, work has also been taking place in the Parliament Street/Caton Road/Bulk Road area on the one-way system into Lancaster, close to where new student housing blocks are being built.
This is for private works by Aptus Utilities.
A spokesperson for Aptus Utilities said they have been installing new power substations and cables to serve the new student accommodation, and the work is expected to be completed with the lane closure ending on Tuesday August 27.
Teams will be back on site in a few months' time to activate the substations, when a further lane closure will be required.
The bus and taxi lane on Parliament Street had been closed, but this has now reopened.
Caton Road remains down to one lane due to the works (see below, photo taken Tuesday August 20)
Meanwhile a further road closure is now in place on Moor Lane, until September 4.
This is by Lancashire County Council, for planing of the carriageway surfacing, waterproofing the bridge deck and resurfacing.
The Moor Lane road closure is pictured below.
Beyond Radio listeners have been speaking out about the roadworks, on our Facebook page.
Brett said: "The planning of Lancaster road works is atrocious!"
Abby said: "it is horrific!! It's like they have decided to do roadworks on every road coming into Lancaster."
Stuey said: "I'm just playing devil's advocate here but better to be all done at once than do a bit and shut part of the road down, wait a few weeks then shut another part down, wait a bit longer, you know where I'm going with this and yes I drive into Lancaster almost every day, yes it's annoying but at least it's all being done at once."
Stephen said: "City is a joke at the minute digging the roads everywhere at the same time it was a nightmare today everywhere closed."
This picture shows tailbacks between the top of Penny Street and the Pointer Roundabout at lunchtime, Tuesday August 20.
Lancashire County Council is in charge of the county's roads.
The Lancashire County Council website says: "We do not have the authority to prevent utility companies from digging up roads.
"Under powers granted to them by government, companies have a legal right to maintain existing pipes, cables, cabinets, poles etc and install new ones.
"We have a permit scheme to help coordinate and manage road works more effectively.
"This allows us to regulate things such as work timings and durations and set certain conditions.
"We aim to co-ordinate works and minimise delays for residents but must adhere to national legislation and codes of practice set by central government."
More info HERE.
Meanwhile there has also been a road closure for the past few weeks near Torrisholme Primary School in Morecambe (see below, photo taken Thursday August 22).
The closure of Low Lane, which began on July 22, is due to end on August 30.
This has been for sewer installation and connection works.
The number 100 bus which usually goes along Low Lane has been diverted during this period of time.
Carriageway improvement works due to begin on nearby Bare Lane this week have now been delayed, with a road closure now due to run from September 2 to 7.
For the latest on all temporary traffic regulation orders affecting the Lancaster and Morecambe District, see HERE.
You can also see up to date info on when roadworks are taking place HERE.