
A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following a crash on the M6 near Lancaster between a lorry and a van.
Emergency services were called to the scene between Junction 32 (Broughton Interchange) and Junction 33 (south Lancaster/Garstang) at around 5.20am on Wednesday.
Firefighters used cutting equipment to free the man from a vehicle before he was taken into the care of ambulance paramedics.
There were severe traffic tailbacks in the area on Wednesday morning with reports of up to seven miles of congestion and 60-minute delays.
"At 5:20am today (Wednesday February 5) we were called to reports of a collision between a van and a lorry on the M6 between Junctions 32-33," said a Lancashire Police spokesperson.
"Officers attended and a man in his 50s has been taken to hospital with serious injuries.
"The M6 Northbound between junctions 32-33 is currently closed and we anticipate it will be closed for some time.
"If you witnessed this incident, have any dashcam footage or information that could help, please call 101 quoting log 132 of 5th February."
A Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "At 05:34 on February 5 2025 fire engines from Fulwood, Preston and Lancaster and the Urban Search and Rescue team from Bamber Bridge and Chorley attended an incident on the M6 motorway.
"The incident was a road traffic collision involving one vehicle off carriageway.
"One casualty extricated from vehicle by fire crews using holmatro cutting equipment and then handed over into the care of ambulance paramedics. Firefighters were on scene for just over 30 minutes."
A spokesperson for National Highways North West said on Wednesday, at around 9.30am: "All traffic which was caught within the closure has now been released past the scene.
"Collision investigation works will be taking place, 60 minute delay on approach.
"We're hoping to be able to open up a lane shortly.
"There is still an hour delay on approach to the closure with seven miles of congestion. Allow extra journey time."
A diversion was in place, via the M55 to Junction 1 (Fulwood) then the A6 through Bilsborrow and Garstang to rejoin the M6 at Junction 33.
A Lancaster Area Police spokesperson said earlier on Wednesday morning: "We want to update you and let you know that the M6 Northbound between junctions 32-33 is currently closed due to a road traffic collision.
"We anticipate that the motorway will be closed for some time.
"In the meantime, we’d recommend looking for an alternative route and driving carefully, leaving plenty of extra time to get to your destination.
"We’ll keep tabs on what’s happening and we’ll update you here once the motorway is open. As always, thank you for your patience and stay safe if you’re out and about today."
Stagecoach bus company said on Wednesday that due to the severe delays from Preston to Lancaster, their 40/41 services would not operate until the motorway reopened. They advised passengers travelling from Lancaster to Galgate and Garstang to use the 42 service.