On Air Now

Now Playing

Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)

'Morecambe Masterplan' plans revealed as new Eden and Frontierland milestones announced

Morecambe town centre

Cash towards a new masterplan to develop Morecambe town centre as well as good news on the Eden Project and Frontierland have been announced.

Lancaster City Council has agreed to release £50,000 towards a regeneration and investment strategy for the centre of Morecambe.

This will be called 'the Morecambe Masterplan' and will set a blueprint for investors and developers interested in the town.

Outgoing council leader Phillip Black said it will be "a critical piece of work that will determine the future course of direction for Morecambe redevelopment".

Councillor Black said it will "take into account the town's public transport, parking and pedestrianisation needs and the exciting oppportunities that come with Eden".

The council's £50,000 match funding to develop the plan, is part of a 50-50 partnership with Lancashire County Council.

Speaking at a Lancaster City Council meeting on Wednesday, Councillor Black said the masterplan was part of an "embarrassment of riches for Morecambe" and "a string of good news milestones that are key to the future prospects of the resort".

He said the council had just received a full agreement from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government enabling them to accept £50m of government funds towards the planned Eden Project Morecambe, as the accountable body.

Councillor Black said this was "the signal that private, charitable and philanthropic partners have been waiting for, to trigger their pledges for match funding" towards the full cost of £100m to build the new attraction on Morecambe Promenade.

He called it "the moment that will light the blue-touch paper and speed us along to delivery".

Pictured below, an artist's impression of Eden Project Morecambe.

Last month, the new Labour government confirmed they would honour the £50m of funding pledged by the previous Conservative government towards the scheme.

Eden bosses have said they are now very close to securing the full £100m, are in the design phase of the project, and are aiming for an opening in 2028.

Read more: MP "absolutely thrilled" as Budget confirms Eden Project Morecambe funding will be honoured - Beyond Radio

Councillor Black also said that a tender process is under way to find a developer for the Frontierland site in Morecambe.

The former fairground site on the Prom, owned by the council, has been mainly derelict since the theme park closed almost 25 years ago.

Here is the site pictured in early 2024.

Earlier this month, would-be developers were given a tour of the land.

Councillor Black said that since the tender opportunity went live on-line, the council was "already seeing responses from interested parties, including some that did not attend the investment tour".

"The people of Morecambe know that the eyesore wasteground's days on Morecambe Promenade are well and truly numbered," he said.

Read more: Developers touring the Frontierland site told 'leisure and hospitality scheme' is a must - Beyond Radio

Councillor Black announced the news on Morecambe during his leader's report to fellow councillors, just moments before announcing his shock resignation at Morecambe Town Hall on Wednesday evening.

Read more: Lancaster City Council leader dramatically quits as Labour-Green alliance collapses - Beyond Radio

More from Local News

Recently Played Songs

  • 3:33pm

    December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)

    Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

    Download
  • 3:29pm

    Soul

    Frankie Valli

    Download
  • 3:25pm

    Teardrops

    Womack And Womack

    Download