
Morecambe FC can sign players in the January transfer window after satisfying the financial requirements of the English Football League.
Last week it was revealed that the Shrimps were unable to register any new players until the club could provide the necessary proof that they could financially sustain themselves until the end of their current financial year, in May.
Read more: ‘A punch in the guts’ - Morecambe FC say financial uncertainty is preventing any further signings
But today (January 30), the club has announced that those requirements have been met, and they are free to strengthen their squad.
The transfer window, the period where clubs can sign contracted players permanently or on loan from another club, closes at 11pm on Monday, February 3.
In a statement, the club said: ‘’Bond Group Investments has facilitated the necessary financial support to satisfy the EFL requirements regarding the ongoing funding needs for the remainder of the current football season.
‘’This action means the EFL has now given the club permission to sign players in the January transfer window and Manager Derek Adams can now continue his efforts in earnest to strengthen the playing squad.
‘’The Board of Directors of Morecambe Football Club is grateful for the endeavours of all involved in this process.’’
It was understood that agreements had been put in place to bring in a further two loan signings to strengthen the Shrimps’ squad, and a potential new signing was seen training on the pitch with the matchday squad ahead of Morecambe’s fixture with Crewe Alexandra earlier this month.
Speaking last week, manager Derek Adams said: ‘’I’ve got two agreements in place with two clubs for two players.
‘’Unfortunately they weren’t able to happen this week, we’ve agreed with the player, agreed with the club, but it’s unfortunate they haven’t been able to go through this week.’’
It had been announced back in December, via an official statement on the club’s website, that a prospective buyer of the club, London businessman Kuljeet Singh Momi, had provided funds, specifically to be spent in the January transfer window.
"We have committed to provide essential funds in the form of equity to assist the manager, Derek Adams, to strengthen the playing squad in the upcoming January transfer window,’’ said Mr Momi in the statement on December 1.
"Again, our commitment is to help the club climb the League 2 table and maintain its coveted EFL status."
Morecambe are also in line for a significant financial boost due to the club’s FA Cup run, which saw the Shrimps play against Premier League giants Chelsea in the third round, in front of almost 40,000 fans at Stamford Bridge.
To date, the club have recruited two free agents in the window so far, in the form of midfielder Callum Cooke, and goalkeeper Ryan Schofield.
Beyond Radio has contacted Jason Whittingham of Bond Group, for comment.
Morecambe FC has been up for sale since September 2022.
During this time, the Shrimps have been through the mill, including reporting a £1.2m loss in its last accounts, suffering a three-point deduction for a financial rules breach last season, a further suspended two-point deduction in December 2024 for failing to report to the EFL (English Football League) the non-payment of amounts owed to HMRC, were under a transfer embargo last year due to a VAT issue and were twice late paying wages to staff and players.
The club is currently bottom of the Football League, and faces a battle to avoid relegation back to non-league football for the first time since 2007.