
A detective inspector has spoken out to reassure people after a report of a man seen carrying a knife near a Morecambe school.
Det Insp Adie Knowles said there was "no evidence that it was anything to do with the school" after Grosvenor Park Primary locked down keeping children and staff indoors as a precaution on Friday.
Det Insp Knowles said police had searched the area but hadn't found anyone and there was "no evidence the individual had made any threats to anybody".
Police were called to the cycle track not far from the school following a call to them on Friday just after 3pm.
A man had been seen on the cycle way, possibly in possession of a knife or a garden tool, and a photograph of him had been sent to police.
"We attended, made some enquiries, did an area search and tried to find that individual," said Det Insp Knowles (below), speaking on his regular 'Beyond the Beat' on Beyond Radio on Tuesday evening.
"The description we were given was of a male, 5ft8 tall, bald, black jacket, large build, black pants, black trainers, wearing a balaclava.
"Due to the close proximity to the school, the staff decided to put the school into lockdown which was perfectly understandable given the tragic circumstances recently in Southport, it's better to be safe than sorry and lock the doors and keep the children safe.
"We tried to find that individual and unfortunately we didn't."
Det Insp Knowles said police were satisfied there was no wider threat to the public.
"There was no evidence that it was anything to do with the school," he said.
"There is no evidence that individual has made any threats to anybody.
"I hope that allays some fears of what has gone on."
Det Insp Knowles said that if anyone sees anybody they think has a weapon or is carrying anything they shouldn't in public, then they should contact police, particularly following the tragedy in Southport earlier this summer when three children were killed in a knife attack at a dance class.
"The times we live in, in light of what has recently happened, we have to keep kids safe," he said.
Tiny Treasures Nursery and Pre-School at Lancaster and Morecambe College also locked down as a precaution on Friday.
The lockdowns were later lifted after staff were informed that it was safe to do so, and children left the buildings.
We asked Det Insp Knowles how the police liaise with nearby schools and nurseries in this kind of situation.
"We would advise them what to do," he said.
"We can't categorically say you will shut your doors and keep the kids in, but generally speaking if the police say just keep the kids in until we establish what's going on, they will do it.
"A lot of those establishments will already have procedures and policies in place. They will have documented what the response is going to be, even if there's no connection to the school, if it just happened to be somewhere near, we'd rather be safe than sorry."
In a further update on Wednesday, a police spokesperson said: "To be clear, at no point was the male with the item seen anywhere other than on the cycle track and there was no indication that any children were targeted by him at any time. We understand people’s concerns, however we would ask that people try not to engage in unhelpful speculation. It only causes people further concern.
"Although the man has not identified been at this stage, we have a dedicated team of officers assigned to this case and our enquiries are ongoing. We continue to have increased reassurance patrols in the area as a precaution.
"Anyone with information about the incident on Friday is asked to email forcecontrolroom@lancashire.police.uk or call 101. Quote log 923 of 13th September 2024.
"We are liaising with local schools to offer reassurance and there are extra patrols in the area, this will continue in the coming days."
Read more: Morecambe school and nursery went into lockdown after report of man wielding knife - Beyond Radio