
Organisers of the Lancaster Christmas Lights Switch On have thanked supporters for rallying round to ensure that this year's event will go ahead as planned.
The annual Switch On - which takes place this Sunday, November 24 - traditionally pulls huge crowds to Market Square for the switching on of the city centre Christmas lights, as well as a stage show of live music and performances.
But Lancaster BID (Business Improvement District) revealed today that this year's Switch On had been at risk of being cancelled.
"This is because, just 10 days before the event, the main event contractor who was due to provide the stage, sound and lighting, contacted Lancaster BID to say he was no longer able to deliver the event," said a Lancaster BID spokesperson.
"With the full event at risk, the BID team had to jump into action to pull together an alternative plan to ensure the Lancaster Christmas Lights Switch On could still go ahead as planned.
"After numerous emails and phone calls, the BID team ensured everything is in place to ensure the event can proceed.
"We’d like to say a huge thank you to SJ Bargh, the Melodrome crew, Red Rose Tech, R Leisure, Ellie from The Grand Theatre and everyone else who jumped into action to answer our calls for help.
"It is testament to the community spirit of Lancaster businesses that the BID team have been able to implement a fully revised plan within such a short space of time to ensure that Christmas in Lancaster can still be launched in style."
Whilst the full stage line-up remains unchanged, regular visitors will notice the replacement stage in front of the City Museum, organised at short notice, will look a little different this year.
The full programme and stage timings of the Switch On event is as follows:
The day will start with the Cancercare Santa Dash at 1.30pm followed by a spectacular stage show hosted by Beyond Radio.
The stage will host a packed schedule of local acts followed by tribute act The Ultimate Dua Lipa and Take That tribute act Rule The World to headline the show. The lights will be switched on in Market Square at 5.15pm.
Lancaster BID thanked Acorn Homes for their headline sponsorship of the event and Lancaster University for their support as well as Stagecoach for their sponsorship of Christmas in Lancaster.
They also thanked Lancaster City Council for supporting the event with Government Levelling Up Funding through the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
The Christmas Lights Switch On marks the launch of a series of festive events every Sunday right through to Christmas.
Read more: Biggest ever series of Christmas family events announced for Lancaster city centre - Beyond Radio
John Mayoh of event contractors John Mayoh Events, said: "Due to unforeseen financial circumstances we are not in a position to deliver the Lancaster Christmas Lights Switch On this year in the way in which the city has become accustomed.
"I have been in touch with the BID management team to explain our position and it is my understanding that they have made other arrangements to ensure the event goes ahead as planned.
"We have managed this event for a number of years on behalf of the BID and it is with the utmost sadness that we have had to withdraw this year.
"I wish the BID and the great city of Lancaster all good fortune going forward and I am sure this year's event will be just as successful and just as much fun as previous years."