
The co-chairmen of Morecambe FC have publicly laughed off an online rumour linking Wayne Rooney with the manager's job at the Shrimps.
Rod Taylor said there was "no truth at all in Wayne Rooney coming to Morecambe, absolutely not" during a Fans Forum at the cash-strapped club on Thursday.
And Graham Howse quipped: "It's more likely to be Coleen Rooney than Wayne, to be honest!"
The rumours were started by an unofficial X social media football gossip page called 'EFL Daily' and then widely shared on social media, including on the Morecambe FC Fans' Page, after the former England captain left his role as manager of Championship side Plymouth Argyle earlier this week.
The tweet said the Morecambe FC board was set to replace manager Derek Adams with Rooney, who was said to be on a £500,000 salary at Plymouth.
The account later backtracked on the claim.
At Thursday night's event at the Mazuma Mobile Stadium, Morecambe FC board members spoke out in support of Derek Adams.
Adams (below) is in his third spell in charge of the Shrimps, who are currently second from bottom of League Two.
Morecambe director James Wakefield told fans on Thursday: "We absolutely believe in him.
"I don't believe there is a better manager in the UK in terms of getting value out of a budget.
"He lives, sleeps, breathes and eats football."